How to Solo Hellfire Assault?
The first encounter in Hellfire Citadel may seem a tricky one, but it’s actually not after nerfs in 2019. It’s very easy to complete for any class or spec – for example, I have zero trouble with my Holy Priest or Protection Paladin.
Here’s what to do:
- Clear the area from trash until Siegemaster shouts “check the citadel defences”.
- Two groups of mobs will come to big cannons by the entrance, kill them, and encounter is ready to start.
Hellfire Assault Encounter:
- Your goal is to protect 2 big cannons at the entrance (on the ramps) from being destroyed – and to blow up the Citadel gate with these cannons. You will lose the encounter if orcs destroy one of the cannons.
- When the encounter starts, you will conveniently see health bars on the screen’s right side for both cannons and the gate.
- Kill Siegemaster and her group to start the encounter.
- Then chill between the ramps and aggro orcs coming from assault capsules. Normally you need to hit one orc, and the whole group will come at you – get ready your AoE and have fun. You may let the mobs slip to the cannons, but make sure you come and kill them soon and not let them hit a cannon for too long.
- When the vehicles arrive, we rejoice. Quickly destroy them – and they will each drop a very brightly shining box of Ammunitions. Click the ammunitions box to pick it up – you will get a cool speed running buff – and run with it to any of the cannons. Once in melee range, your character will automatically throw it at the cannon, and it starts firing at the gate.
- And this is it. Chill and AoE mobs until machines arrive, kill machines, bring ammo to the cannons – rinse, repeat.
You will need:
- Normal: 2 boxes of ammunitions (2 vehicles to kill)
- Heroic: 2 boxes of ammunitions
- Mythic: 4 boxes of ammunitions
The revelation about nerfs came from Kaylriene’s latest post. Hellfire Citadel in BfA is naturally a one-shot run… except for the fact that you couldn’t move farther than the first boss if played solo.
Hellfire Assault, as you may recall, launches multiple groups of adds and cannons which try to destroy your big guns. It was a fun encounter in actual content, but it rendered impossible to do solo. You just cannot manage to take them all out, because you simply don’t have enough speed to do so. Adds will eventually overwhelm your guns and destroy them, effectively defeating you. I’ve completed it only once – with a Brewmaster monk who’s able to collect the central mobs with an Ox Statue and frantically propel between ramps. All other classes and specs = fail.
The last time I checked it was summer or early autumn, an ultimate failure for my frost mage main – even with multiple massive AoE options and unlimited Ice Lance insta-kills of adds.
And now – I wonder for how long already – we, transmog hunters, have been blessed with a long-awaited Hellfire Assault nerf :)
My very same frost mage main has completed the whole raid run today in about 20 minutes, most of them have been about running travel time and scripted pieces. I don’t know yet how it will look on Mythic, but my test encounter for Hellfire Assault on Normal required just two shots at the gate – that is, you only have to hold up until two cannons arrive and bring the ammunitions back to the cannons.
This is a huge thing! For some reason they had separate LFR sets in this raid, moreover, non-class specific. So I haven’t even touched completing class sets – Normal and up -during WoD expansion. Of course Blackrock Foundry sets were the best in Draenor, but Hellfire Citadel holds a solid number of transmog options which are very welcome into my collections.
I suppose December and winter holidays will be dedicated to heavy transmog farming, one more raid into the fold :)