Having played through multiple alts, I’ve worked out my best ways of leveling through the zones.
- The goal of this guide is to provide climactic story experience;
- Without getting lost in side questlines;
- And leaving no side questlines behind.
- Exploration achievements will be completed on the way.
- As well as all flight paths opened.
- The order of the zones is optional.
- Each zone provides ~4-5 levels upon full completion.
- You will hit level 120 by the middle of your third zone.
- I choose to put aside gathering and war campaign quests until level 120 – not to distract from the zones, but you may choose to do them in between.
- Beware the spoilers ;)
Zuldazar is the southern part of Zandalar continent and holds the magnificent Zandalari capital city. The city itself has three flight hubs, and holds a couple of main story quest hubs as well. Something evil lurks behind the golden facades, and you’re investigating it. Zuldazar also provides multiple wildlife side questing.
It’s very non-linear, and you get side questlines upon advancing through the main story arc. You will report to the central hub after every part, and find new quest errands waiting for you.
- After reporting to the king and king’s advisors, fly to the harbor and solve the disturbance among the troll factions (1). Don’t forget to befriend Tortollans there and run a couple of their quests.
- Travel to the second pyramid of Zocalo in the north and investigate the blood cult (2). Open a flight path when there. Don’t forget to meet and do your first errand for the mischievous Jani (hek hek hek).
- Help Zul the Prophet deal with his rogue pupil in Tal’Gurub (3). By now you should have quests to Nesingwary and Warbeast Kraal.
- Travel to Warbeast Kraal and have fun educating a direhorn (4).
- On your way to Nesingwary, open the Tortollan flight path (5).
- Complete Nesingwary’s questlines (6). We will need this flight path soon. This time it’s real big game you’re hunting.
- Return to the main story arc. Travel to Warport Rastari and open their flight hub (7). Do all that must be done – the plot against the king is solved immediately after.
- Another round in Zocalo (8) and Garden of Loa (9).
- As long as you’re there, deal with a minor sethraki attack (10).
- Then via Nesingwary flight path we travel to Zeb’Ahari, deal with traitors (11) and help the mighty T-Rex loa Rezan (12).
- Deal with blood troll invasion at Blood Gate (13).
- Now we go for a shore tour. Start with Kaja’mite/gorilla questline (14).
- Proceed to Xibala excavation site (15).
- Battle mogu in the southern Tusk Isles, starting from major harbor (16).
- Solve Tortollan/naga story in Dreadful Shallows (17) and Talanji’s Rebuke (18).
- Deal with Alliance castaways in Talanji’s Rebuke (19).
- Return to the high seat and finish the story by the gates of Atal’Dazar (20).
The zone is a lead-in to Atal’Dazar and King’s Rest dungeons.
Nazmir is a very straightforward questing experience with almost none side questlines, and they are done on the way. Actually you do a perfect circle and then hit the heart of the zone.
- Arrive at Nazmir entrance, kill your first pack of blood trolls (1) and see the epic horror awaiting.
- Retreat to Zul’jan ruins and make plans with Talanji (2).
- Help a troll crazy hunt a mighty t-rex Urok (3).
- Proceed with the main questline to the north, dealing with blood troll enclaves (4).
- Make a base, enter the Necropolis, home of the death loa Bwonsamdi, and do his bidding (5).
- Travel southwest and do three quest hubs there (6): main story of Zalamar where you kill a corrupted loa Hireek, dealing with a necromancer blood troll and dealing with a monstrous dino which ate the whole exiling party. Hard to miss once you’re there. I suggest doing it in this order: dino -> necromancer -> Zalamar, because Zalamar questline drives you back to your base.
- Drive all the way east along Tortollan pilgrim path and deal with blood troll cannibals (7).
- Save the remnants of loa Torga from blood trolls (8). This is the creepiest questline in all BfA questing.
- Arrive at Gloom Hollow (9).
- Do Kragwa’s biddings (10). Don’t forget to deal with side naga (11) and pet crawg (12) questlines.
- Now it’s time to help the goblin squad and acquire our doom weapon hailing straight from Warhammer 40000 (13).
- Just around the corner we unveil the mystery with the help of a titan keeper (14).
- Now armed with knowledge and with a Warhammer dreadnought, sail these treasures by raft to Zul’jan base (15).
- Storm the Uldir surrounding nest of blood trolls! (16) Don’t forget to do Rokhan’s quests before talking to Krag’wa and final onslaught.
The zone is a lead-in to Underrot dungeon and Uldir raid.
Vol’dun is a vast desert inhabited by a sethraki snake people faction (split into good and bad), sturdy and kawaii scavengers vulpera and a bunch of surviving exiles from Zuldazar. Yet another bitching counsellor is plotting something here, far from king’s eyes, and an ancient evil sleeps under the sands.
The major questline is straightforward, but there are lots of side quests scattered across the desert which require some leg work.
- You arrive by the air, but not for long: your party is blasted from the skies and you find yourself trapped by sethraki. Meet your first vulpera and escape together (1).
- Arrive at Vulpera Hideaway and do some simple quests (2).
- Take a caravan to Temple of Akunda. On your way you will hear the famous Dolly and Dot song! Do all th Temple questing (3) – first funny, then disturbing.
- Proceed with the main story arc towards Atul’Aman grounds and befriend your first nice sethraki, a major guy (4).
- Now a big distraction. Solve the melioration problem nearby – make the desert bloom! (5)
- Help the troll exiles nearby (6).
- There is an Ashvane Company port we will disrupt for disruption sakes (7).
- Then we go for treasure hunt in Port of Zem’lan! (8) If that doesn’t sound cool enough, we’re doing so with… troll skeleton pirates.
- Now we can return back and take flight to a friendly sethraki Temple of Devoted (9). Repel the evil sethraki invasion there.
- Distraction again: help a vulpera snake-charmer (10).
- As long as we’re there, help the goblin azerite miners – Horde’s force (11).
- Now we’re good and ready for a major battle against evil sethraki’s strongholds around Temple of Sethraliss. Naturally all forces combine there (12).
- When done, there is another distraction: scavenge the ancient troll temple with mysterious constructs and spirits (13).
- And proceed to Tortollan reclusive hub to repel naga invasion (14).
- Now we can fly back to Temple of Devoted and get a climax quest to solve all the mysteries (and witness an unspeakable horror) (15).
The zone is a lead-in to Temple of Sethraliss dungeon.
2 thoughts on “Battle for Azeroth: Horde Leveling Guide”
Awesome guide again!
I feel a bit better seeing that you think the Torga questline is the creepiest of the expansion. I was worried about Drustvar quests being worse since I haven’t gotten that far yet Alliance-side. I was so sad doing those quests. They were so grim I almost couldn’t do them, and WoW never does that to me. Gonna go help some baby turtles make it to the water until I feel better…
LikeLiked by 1 person
In 10 years or so from now, I shall put this guide to good use and level a Horde character over there. Thank you for the work put into this from the future me! :)