There really were many speculations in the web about the new expac. The most thriving versions were:
- Azshara and South Seas
- Zul’Again (which could be a part of the previous one, as in Pandaria)
- Council of Glades – Medivh/Sylvanas storyline
- Undead v.2 (Bolvar could turn mad)
- Burning Legion with new planet.
- Emerald Dream
A rational thought would be to expand Azeroth – as we know, the south zones of Kalimdor and Eastern Kingdoms are desert and jungle. That means that we have explored only up to the equator, not the whole planet. And there’s at least half a globe to be disovered: which can give us 2 new continents, plus one in the middle, plus antarctic Northrend :)
Blizzard says that they carefully listened to players, and these are the odds if they really did:
- Azshara seems the most probable expac, as people were craving and speculating about it for long, long time.
- Lich King reboot would require our return to Northrend, which means drastic phasing and spoiling all the continent. People like to return to the old Northrend, they like the old Northrend, and replaying the same campaign vs Undead Scourge in the same place would be ridiculous.
- Some Sylvanas storyline – would be as artificial as making Garrosh a villain. The Undead already had its villain. Sylvanas can’t be archvillain, that would mean total separation of Undead from the Horde, so Undead players won’t be happy. Besides, she’s rational and she is busy with onslaught to the dwarven lands. Arathi Highlands, Thandol Span and Hinterlands is her next goal – the least she wants now is breaking her bonds with the Horde, not with the perspective of clash with steamtanks, gryphon aviation and tricky gnome machinery – all the might of Ironforge and Aerie Peak, save Dark Iron underground marines. Ironforge is blooming with all its might and never was as strong as now. Yet, Sylvanas deserves her own side story with Windrunner family.
- Burning Legion may have been the option, but repeating the demon routine right after a demon raid and fel ending of Warlords would be the worst. We’re fighting most notable Legion generals now, so… Besides, people want to return to Azeroth, not some other planet they don’t care about.
- Emerald Dream – absolutely not. As a safe, non-altered version of Azeroth, it would be the same return to the past as Draenor. Besides, when you get into Emerald Dream while questing, it’s like a green mist. Not the thing you want to see the whole expansion.
- Medivh/Gul’dan storyline – it may have some sense, but only in the vein of previous ones.
We’ll learn today. I bet for sea expansion and new lands in Azeroth.